Rachel Hollis challenged the world recently to make a Joy List. So I thought I would put into blog format just what my top 10 (and a bonus!) joy list is. It is in no particular order. These are the things that spark TRUE JOY in my life.
- Catching my husband’s eye across the room and having him wink at me. Seriously, I still get a thrill from his affection, after 20+ years together.
- Anytime my daughter wants to ride with me to run an errand and she starts talking to me about anything and everything. When we make up stupid things in the car and think we’re just so hilarious and nobody gets our inside jokes.
- When I pick my son up from school and he says “I yuh yoo” out of the blue. He has special needs and is non-verbal, though every now and then we can pick up on some words. Melts my heart to a giant puddle.
- Receiving Communion at church. Anytime the Blood and Body of Christ are offered to me, I feel so much joy it spills out of my eyes and down my cheeks! Worship music at church does the same thing.
- Snagging a deal on a great pair of jeans or shoes or really any kind of clothing. I love clothes and how they can make you feel put together and ready to tackle the day. When I don’t get dressed to go to work, even though I work from home, I don’t get anything accomplished.
- A brisk walk in the fresh snow. Being a Florida girl, I enjoy the beauty of the snow and the way it crunches under your feet.
- Time spent with my extended family. We annoy each other, but there is a lot of love, too.
- Spending time with my girlfriends, even if it’s just on the phone or via text because they live 750 miles from me and I can’t see them every day. Anytime I get to spend with them is enough to spark true joy for me.
- A brand new book. There is nothing like the smell of a book. I don't do digital e-readers.
- Helping my clients bring in big leads and grow their business! This is truly one of the best feelings in the world, believing in another person and their business and being a part of their success.
- Lifting up and encouraging other women. Meeting them where they are in their lives and helping them spiritually, emotionally, and/or with their businesses. It’s what I’m most passionate about, showing up for other women.
This is my TRUE JOY list.
It is so important to recognize what actually brings us joy, what truly makes us happy, especially in today's world when there are so many things out there designed to bring us discomfort and unease.
When you know what really makes your heart soar, you're more likely to seek that out over and over. You can make the conscious decision to leave the negativity behind and move toward the things that really do make a difference in your life.
I encourage you to make your own list. Not just things that make you feel good, but things that really and truly mean something to you, that make your heart burst wide open with Joy! Join me and step into the day with a happy heart!